Originally Posted By: deniro
It's within hailing distance.

It most assuredly is not within hailing distance! It is, in fact, in diametric opposition.

The difference from what I did, versus what you suggest, is that I haven't installed 10.6.8 yet. I did migrate my network prefs, and nothing else, w/Migration Asst. I've been using my installers to reinstall my third-party software. I could have held off on that.

You've installed EVERYTHING before installing 10.6.8, whereas I suggested installing NOTHING ("holding off" wink ), until after installing it, the goal being - for the third time - to find out if your problem is inherent in OS X, itself.

It is possible that some some third-party program is causing the problem.

I made my suggestion to either lend credibility to or disenfranchise that possibility.

I could clone my drive right now, then install 10.6.8 to see if the problem returns. But I have only one backup drive and I'm using it now. I'm considering buy a second hard drive anyway.

Hmmm... I thiiink you can split your backup drive into two partitions without erasing it, but I wouldn't advise your trying without confirmation from someone more on top of it than I am. (Of course, if you're only using it as a backup and not for data storage it won't matter.)

Your best bet is to clone 10.6.7 so you can update to 10.6.8 and have the clone to fall back on if your problem follows you; you've put in too much effort into getting it to lose it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire