Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't feel a heck of a lot of difference in required pressure (Firm -> Light gives me a clearer idea of what's going on than Firm -> Medium -> Light.), but I hear noticeably different sounds at the three settings.

You are right! Now that you mention it, there is a much more noticeable pressure differential between Light ➯ Firm or vice versa, but it is far less noticeable going from Light ➯ Medium ➯ Firm. In any case it definitely works on Apple's Wireless Magic Trackpad. The sound and haptic option works too but they are subtle enough to be mistaken for normal mechanical sound and touch.

Originally Posted By: artie505
I wonder if it's a function of which Mac, i.e. (generation?) trackpad, you've got, similar to how joemike only sees it when his Magic Trackpad is attached and I have a CDs & DVDs pref pane only when my external drive is attached.

I think you are spot on once again. There are some preference panes that only load if there is an appropriate device present. On my system while there are 36 preference panes in /System/Library/PreferencePanes only 30 of them actually mount in System Preferences. Additionally Preference panes display settings appropriate to the particular Apple device that is installed. For example, although the Mouse preference pane always installs it offers different options depending on which Apple mouse is mounted.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein