Trump fires attorney general for questioning legality of immigration executive order

WOW

Anyone care to guess when's the last time we saw that sort of thing happen?

it recalled the so-called Saturday Night Massacre in 1973, when President Richard M. Nixon fired his attorney general and deputy attorney general for refusing to dismiss the special prosecutor in the Watergate case.

Yates wrote; "At present I am not convinced that the defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful."

Read up more on the position at Wikipedia

Clearly this is trending news. I typed "trump fires " and google suggested Attorney General rather than one of his many show firings...

Now... Clearly this is an *appointed* post, and she's from the previous administration, and this is a cabinet position. The cabinet exists to "advise the president", and we know know Trump loves taking advice, so there's no question he's going to do a clean sweep. But most cabinet positions are replaced (or resign), it's unusual for a president to kick someone out before getting a replacement confirmed. I'm pretty sure this was done entirely to deal with the bad PR of your Attorney General questioning the legality of your orders.

And to no one's surprise, just like Nixon, the AG that was put in charge immediately followed the president's orders. Technically correct, but quite a horrible chain of events from a moral perspective. Fortunately, that position was stripped of much of its power when the Justice Department was created. Prior to that there was no doubt that the AG's first order of business was law, and second was assisting the administration. But now, not so much. Just another presidential yes-man.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department