artie, that's what I did. The second time. I used Migration Assistant only to transfer network prefs. This is the long road, but I've enjoyed starting with a clean slate.

So there have been some interesting and subtle changes. Some programs act slightly different. Possible changes in Java or Javascript. Clip Menu has been acting erratic and FinderPop at first. My screen color is better. Whiter. For years it was a shade of blue, even after recalibrating. Fonts look different. I'm trying to decide if it's better, but I'm not sure. They look darker and maybe fuzzier. Note that I still haven't tried to upgrade to 10.6.8.

I'm still working on getting back to where I was. Struggles with registration numbers and preferences. I'm learning about the importing/exporting functions of some programs, like Mail, iCal, Address Book, Reunion, iTunes.

Some data has gotten lost. I'm working on it. Address Book imported OK but I'm not sure iCal got everything. Firefox failed to import all my bookmarks, though it got most of them.

A fresh look at system profiler. I have one of those imacs that is "64-bit but not really". In the profiler sofware section overview, 64 bit kernel and extensions are labeled "no" but many of my programs are marked 64 bit (capable).

I still find the App store a waste of time.