Originally Posted By: Virtual1
I find it surprising that they'd roll it out live to iOS prior to Mac OS...

I am not surprised because...
  • There are millions more iPhones and iPads than Macs
  • IOS devices make Apple a LOT more money than MacOS devices do
  • Apple is really anal about iOS data security and strong data encryption is built in to APFS not added on
  • Even without encryption data in APFS is intentionally scattered throughout the storage media rather than being organized into consecutive data sectors so even without encryption, reassembling the files coherently is fiendishly difficult
  • Because it is designed for solid state media APFS will likely improve storage I/O on iOS devices
  • There is less user interaction with storage in iOS than there is in MacOS which allows developers to focus more on low level functions and inteface without having to deal with UI
  • The App Store only source of apps allows Apple to enforce standards requiiring developers to access storage only through specific APIs while on MacOS developers can and some do access low level APIs directlly to get performance enhancements. Apple will likely be working to prevent this in APFS for safety and securitgy reasons
I am loathe to argue with Tacit because of his technical expertise, but I will be surprised if APFS isn't pretty much fully implemented in MacOS 10.13 if for no other reason than Apple works hard to keep MacOS, iOS, TVOS, and WatchOS pretty much in synch. Certainly in the past year the MacOS and iOS beta releases have been simultaneous.

FWIW: I have the iOS 10.3 beta installed on both my iPhone and iPad and as a practical matter the only way I know they have been converted to APFS is by reading articles in MacRumors and 9to5 Mac. But then I am not trying to break into the files on either device.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein