I'm starting this new thread because my other one on this subject now occupies two pages and may be skipped for being too long. This information is worth seeing if you're having the problem. I've been struggling with Excel 2004 crashing while running on 10.6.0 and 10.6.1. The other thread (When is an Excel file getting too big?) chronicles the discussion.

Tonight, I went to Apple.com > Support > Discussions > Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard > Using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Topic : Excel 2004 continually crashes OS 10.6.

I scrolled down to the end of page 1 of the 3 page thread to messages left by David Hoerl. He says that several PPC programs are having the trouble, not just Excel 2004. He offers a diagnosis and repeats a message he received from Apple. In essence, it is that this is a known issue and they’re working on it.

For reasons he explains, he has concluded that it is related to Carbon and not Rosetta. I had left a message on my other thread about a blurb on CNet that connected it to Rosetta. At least I now know enough about it to stop trying to fix it and endure until Apple provides a solution. If it becomes unbearable, I can possibly solve it by upgrading to MS Office/Mac 2008.

On a happier note, I installed an extra 2Gb RAM today (bringing the total RAM to 4Gb) and haven't had a crash since then. I have no idea whether that is coincidence or a solution.

Edited by JoBoy (09/25/09 09:56 PM CST)

Last edited by dianne; 09/26/09 07:47 PM. Reason: created hyperlink to Apple Discussions' topic to provide full attribution.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5