I guess I didn't make my point as well as I thought I did.

When Apple introduced their new glass trackpads I did a bit of reading, and I remember it sounding like they were 1/3 electronic, 1/3 mechanical, and 1/3 voodoo, and I think we're dealing with the voodoo in this instance.

The stiffness I tried to describe has nothing to do with the mechanical up/down movement of the trackpad, rather it's related to the amount of pressure I had to put on the plastic to get my input transmitted through it to the trackpad, and I suspect that the best way for you to understand it will be to cut a piece of (~1mm) plastic out of the cover of your next eat-in lunch, tape it to the lower right-hand corner of your trackpad, and click with most of the side of the tip of your thumb as I do.

If it's not a function of the sensitivity of your fingertip, you'll feel that you've got to press harder to get your input through, particularly if you're trying to drag something, and occasionally it will feel like the trackpad isn't even moving up and down, although if you put a fingertip on the interface between it and the palm rest you'll find that it is.

As I said, then, I think Apple has tuned down the sensitivity of the trackpad to more or less correct my spurious input, with the stiffness - but only with the plastic in place - being a side effect which led me to realize that I no longer need it.

Mods, I wonder if these last three posts deserve their own thread?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire