I just wanted to say that what you quoted is common knowledge and the article's author did not need to repeat it again. Because of this, I did not understand (in turn) why a person like you would quote something really cliche.
The rest is just "reasoning" around the quote. The way I see the idea of Laplace is that (I guess, you share this point of view) in real science there is little place for believing in God. He just formulated it very much in-your-face, as a "hypothesis". If only believers would deal with science, its progress may have stalled (look at the Middle Ages) because they might not be interested in digging deeper, since every oddity or Nature's puzzle could be explained by God's will. But it is exactly the unexplainable that drives human quest for scientific truth. What I am saying is not a universal truth, of course, but a good example of this point of view is creationism. If we endorse it, there is no point looking into the complexity of the animal and plant kingdoms, finding relationship among species and studying their natural history - everything was created by God and left as is. Belief in this particular case is really counterproductive because it removes the time dimension from biological studies, IMHO.

Last edited by macnerd10; 09/25/09 08:50 PM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN