Originally Posted By: joemikeb
In light of the Cookiepedia entry (and I have no reason to question it) together with the fact it appears Cookie declares any cookie beginning with "__c" or "_c" a tracking cookie, more like a blunderbuss than a shotgun approach, calling __cfduid a tracking cookie seems questionable.

I wish Cookie Stumbler were as good at ferreting out cookies as Cookie or Cookie were as discrete in identifying and reporting cookies as Cookie Stumbler(?)! (Emphasis added)

Stereotyping isn't politically correct, but it's probably why Cookie treats all "_c" and "__c" cookies as tracking cookies when such isn't necessarily the case.

I couldn't find out how many different cookies there are out there, but I suspect that there are so many that it's probably impossible to keep track of all of them, much less catalog each one correctly, so if "_c" and "__c" cookies are generally tracking cookies, some non-trackers are going to get swept up in the dragnet.

It seems like there ought to be a convention governing such things.

Thanks for the link to Cookiepedia; I note that it can't identify either ryck's "_fluid" or "girlscout".

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire