Originally Posted By: jchuzi
FWIW, I have Drive Genius installed with it's preferences to automatically check for updates, yet I do not have any Prosoft cookies.
I too have Drive Genius installed and I had (note the past tense) a Prosoft cookie.
Originally Posted By: ryck
I can update this observation. ProSoft Engineering has inserted a cookie a couple of times without my going to their site - and it wasn't a plain-Jane cookie, it was a tracking cookie.
The Prosoft cookie on my system was a plain-jane cookie and NOT a tracking cookie — at least according to Cookie Stumbler (the paid subscription app, not the free Safari extension).

I deleted the Prosoft cookie then opened Drive Genius (which like Jon's is set to check for updates on launching), forced a check for updates, and browsed the Prosoft Engineering web site (although I did not fill in any forms or enter any data), checking for the cookie after each activity and the Prosoft cookie did not reappear. I have no idea when, or how the cookie was inserted, but I am comfortable that it was NOT a tracking cookie and I was unsuccessful in getting it inserted either through visiting the Prosoft Engineering website or running Prosoft Engineering applications.

Ryck, I wonder if your persistent Prosoft cookie is actually from Prosoft Engineering or perhaps it is a malware cookie masquerading as a Prosoft cookie?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein