Originally Posted By: sandbox
If my observation is unacceptable then please explain to me why anyone would jump to a conclusion that a supernatural being created the big bang, built the universe, built the earth in 7 days, and is responsible for every aspect of our lives, in thought and deed. What purpose does it serve?

Just observing the language alone describes a father figure, this terminology demonstrate an authority figure watching over us from above, as it would be viewed from a child's perspective. I'm open to your suggestions.

But i have no wish to take up *that* argument either way. As i've said (this makes the 3rd? time): believe what you want (about the Big Bang or whatever)... but at least admit it's a belief/opinion, no better than any other.

Step by step then...
  • >> Noone know why there was a Big Bang, <<

Right. (or, at least i agree)

• >> some are looking for a logical explanation, others want to feed their need with conclusions of father figures in the sky. <<

"Feed their need"? Sounds condescending.

Any interest in the subject (whether logical or mystical) could be considered 'feeding a need'. Only those who don't give a hoot can (possibly) claim to not be feeding a need. [but perhaps they too are feeding a need by being ignorant/indifferent.]

• >> Thinking members of our species choose to look for answers while dependent members settle for good feelings and a false sense of security. <<

Oh yeah? ["settle"? - "false"?] How do you know it's false? Is that a fact you can prove... or is that just your belief/opinion? Religious fanatics and scientific snobs are no different in my book (belief/opinion), because they sometimes attack each other's views (beliefs/opinions) without adequate reasoning. The existence of a God/Creator has neither been proved *or* disproved, AFAIK.

• >> It's an argument as old as our history and like all historical gods, this one will pass eventually. <<

Will pass? Again... you "know" this how? [sounds more like faith (to feed a dependency and provide false security perhaps?).]
See now... all i was doing was pointing a mirror at you. Nothing heavy.

--

Before you get too riled up, know that i have an engineering degree and only go to church twice a year (Catholic on probation). I also play guitar and much of the music i like might sound to some like it was written by the devil (monster cut there). If you want to blast Pope what's-his-face for locking up Galileo, i'll join you in that chorus in a nanosecond. Likewise the Spanish Inquisition -- major sicko stuff.

--

But this thread seems to be degenerating into a battle of base/extremist viewpoints, which is an endless (unprovable) dispute. What's the matter? Were the many [scientific] schools *interpreting* quantum mechanics too challenging mentally? Because that was the most fascinating discovery (for me anyway) so far. There we have some of the most brilliant minds on the planet, all looking at the same data and -- when trying to answer: what does it say about "reality" -- they have at least seven varying conclusions.

Wow.

Another Einstein quote is in order perhaps:
    “As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
      and as far as they are certain... they do not refer to reality.
”

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 09/25/09 02:57 AM. Reason: add link to Meshuggah