Originally Posted By: tacit

The first hospital in the US, founded before the country was even a country back in 1658, was established in New Amsterdam (now called New York) by Jacob Hendrickszen Varrevanger. He was not a religious person; it was not a religious hospital.

The oldest hospital still in use in the US, Bellevue Hospital in New York, was founded as a secular institution by the New York government in 1736.

Benjamin Franklin, known for his non-theist religious beliefs, founded several hospitals in the US and in France.

Today, only about 13% of all US hospitals are religious or connected to religious organizations, primarily the Catholic Church. There were as of 1999 a total of 604 hospitals in the US founded by ir on affiliation with religious organizations, out of a total of 4,573 hospitals.

How many hospitals were founded by atheist organizations? Seven and a half times more than were founded by religious organizations! smile

I'm not buying that. You are trying to imply that all hospitals not founded or operated by a religious organization are "Atheist Hospitals". No way! Oh, but I'm sure you can demonstrate that's true for each of the nearly 4,000 institutions.

You're also equating secular with atheistic. Not valid. Just because religion is not highlighted in an organization does not mean it's run by people who are not religious, must less anti-religious.

Ben Franklin also was not an atheistic organization. wink

Organizations name things after themselves. My son was born at Lutheran Hospital. Others are named Saint this or that. Others are called Community Hospital, or Memorial Hospital. I've yet to run across one named for an atheistic organization.

I don't intend this small side issue as a proof of something. I'm just pointing out that many religious organizations are on the forefront of altruism. It was just a counterpoint.

Last edited by Gregg; 09/25/09 12:59 PM.