Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Tacit/ Virtual, good info. I'm leaning towards not bothering with VPN, as I think https will suffice, but good to know. Does it slow down surfing web a lot?

The encryption overhead technically does slow down your computer and the server a little bit, but they've worked hard to optimize that so it's not too bad, and you're already dealing with a lot of latency over the internet, so you won't be able to notice any delay.

Quote:
A good friend call all the imposition you get at the airports post 9/11, the "Bin Laden" tax. Hence applies to everything you are saying.

Yeah I don't think blaming any one specific person or event really is justified. It seems to me that the problem isn't so much the "contributing factors" as it is the "response". If you're walking down the street and pass me and I suddenly yell "BOO!" and you drop your phone on the ground and break it, is it my fault? Well, technically if I hadn't don that you probably wouldn't have dropped your phone. You might even blame me. But it was your reaction that caused you to drop your phone. It's unreasonable to assume that anyone I say BOO to is being forced to drop whatever it is they are carrying. Now you walk down the street wearing earplugs, "because I forced you to"? Is this keeping you safer? I take this view of Security Theatre. If you're going to do something, do something that's effective. Go over to Israel and check out their airports. Guards standing all over the place with UZIs etc. They don't bother so much with X-ray machines, they stick you in a blast-resistant box and press a button, that EMP's you. Got a bomb in your underpants? Either it fries the radio and detonator (so it can't blow up later) or it blows up IMMEDIATELY. That's how you react to a threat. Those guys have been on the front line of terrorism for decades, and they're not hindered by theatrics, they just do what works.

And I still love watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-QE80Sn9AE

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department