This problem is getting more complex. I created a new workbook with one worksheet. The file is 45Kb in size. I did a search and replace that found three locations where I replaced existing text. The search and replace window started acting strange. When I clicked Find Next, it continued to "find" the same three location even after they had been replaced. I should have received a notice that no more search items were found. I then pressed Cmd-S to Save and Excel disappeared from the screen. Also, all icons on the Desktop and the Dock disappeared leaving the custom photo that is my normal Desktop all alone. Then, the machine automatically restarted and the Desktop became normal. I restarted Excel and a version of the worksheet that crashed appeared with (recovered) added to the filename. It was current except the Find and Replace changes were not there. I then opened Activity Monitor and watched its readings while I repeated exactly what I had done before, but when I got to the Save part, the file saved normally and remained OK. During the failed attempt to recreate the crash, Activity Monitor showed VM size: 113.09Gb; Page ins: 436.1Mb; Page outs: 756Kb, and Swap Used: 0 bytes. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

The only suspicion I still harbor is that, when my Mac Pro really went under, the Genius folks at the Apple Store said that it was probably a failed graphics card. They replaced it under Apple Care. They also thought there might be a problem with the logic board, but the graphics card seemed to resolve all problems at that time. Since then, I've had miscellaneous issues including the one mentioned on this thread. I always worry wondering if somehow the graphics card has a flaw. I just ordered 2Gb of new RAM for delivery tomorrow, but maybe I should buy a total of 4Gb and remove and replace the existing RAM. I'm lost on this. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Where do I find the Apple Hardware tester? I've used it in the past and thought it was in Utilities on the system installation disk, but I don't find it there.

Update: I found the Hardware Test. Two quick tests revealed no problem. I know that the extended testing for several passes is better, but no time today for that.

The squirrely behavior seems to be limited to Excel. I reinstalled MS Office a couple of weeks ago. No time to do that today.

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/25/09 12:25 AM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5