Originally Posted By: ryck
So, it appears this may be more of a "Trump" thing than I thought. Today I had a cookie trumpmiami dot com. I visited that site Nov 12 and cleared the cookie from my machine immediately after. Now, it pops up again.

Or it may be something else….something nefarious that people such as Trump use to their advantage. I heard about a program called "Cookie" in another thread, so I went to a reviewer's site to learn about the software and, in their description of Cookie's functions, they mentioned:

"Then you’re asked if you’d like Cookie to clear the browser cache, in order to remove EverCookies.

These are the persistent cookies that have been designed to automatically respawn themselves from various secret caches, so that even when you do manually try to delete cookies from each browser, you’ll often see them reinstall themselves later."

So, I then went to Wikipedia and found:

"Samy Kamkar released v0.4 beta of the Evercookie on September 13, 2010, as open source.[9][10][11] According to the project's website: Evercookie is designed to make persistent data just that, persistent. By storing the same data in several locations that a client can access, if any of the data is ever lost (for example, by clearing cookies), the data can be recovered and then reset and reused.

Simply think of it as cookies that just won't go away.

Evercookie is a javascript API available that produces extremely persistent cookies in a browser. Its goal is to identify a client even after they've removed standard cookies, Flash cookies (Local Shared Objects or LSOs), and others.

Evercookie accomplishes this by storing the cookie data in several types of storage mechanisms that are available on the local browser. Additionally, if Evercookie has found the user has removed any of the types of cookies in question, it recreates them using each mechanism available."

….looks like I'll be buying "Cookie".

Last edited by ryck; 11/30/16 06:38 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C