Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Another result of short term profit being the ONLY motive⁉️ That is a genuine shame.

I think the problem isn't so much corporate stupidity as it is middle management incompetence. Return On Investment (ROI) is important to middle managers, it's what keeps them employed. Make sure you are prepared at any time to demonstrate the value of your department to your company if asked to. Periodically, when CEOs and boards ask the CFO where the next corner to cut is, they in turn check with their bean counters and managers, to review the ROI of all the major expenses. The lowest rated one is usually placed in the crosshairs.

"Mr Abuse Staff Manager, what does your team do for the company?" ITS A TRAP! What he's really asking you: "I don't care what you do. Give me several good reasons why we shouldn't cut some of your staff or slash your budget to save some money and make our shareholders smile".

Wrong answer: "We investigate fraud, respond to customer complaints of abuse, and work with law enforcement agencies." What they hear: "Nothing important, we don't make the company any money or save them from any expenses. There aren't any downsides to cutting back this department, it will just save the company some money. We're the dead wood you've been looking for all morning."

Right answer: "We protect the company's public image by investigating fraud, maintain customer satisfaction and subscriptions by resolving complaints of abuse, and prevent legal expense and exposure by working with law enforcement agencies." What they hear: "We provide valuable and essential services to the company. Cutbacks in our area will incur ongoing and widespread additional expenses that greatly exceed any savings generated by cutbacks. We're an excellent value for what we cost and you'd be a fool to mess with it."

If you don't know how to sell it, you shouldn't be surprised when they bring in the hatchet.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department