I use Checkmate 1.1.5 (the latest version) to run daily diagnostics on my hard drives. Lately, it has found consistent volume structure errors which I have repaired with Disk Warrior. This seems to have started after I upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra (both Checkmate and DW have not been updated for Sierra and, supposedly, both are compatible). The last time that I used DW to rebuild the directory, the following summary appeared (I'm not going to post the details because it is too many pages):

DiskWarrior has successfully built a new optimized directory for the disk named "Time Machine." The new directory is ready to replace the original directory.

There is not enough contiguous free space for a fail-safe replacement of the directory. It is highly recommended that you create 14714 MB of contiguous free space before replacing the original directory.

All file and folder data was easily located.

Optimizing the Catalog Tree Directory File has increased available disk space.
Optimizing the Attributes Tree Directory File has increased available disk space.

Comparison of the original and replacement directories indicates that there will be changes to the number, the contents and/or the attributes of the files and folders. It is recommended that you preview the replacement directory and examine the items listed below. All files and folders were compared and a total of 336,298,680 comparison tests were performed.

• Errors, if any, in the directory structure such as tree depth, header node, map nodes, node size, node counts, node links, indexes and more have been repaired.

• 122 Files had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.

• 15 Folders had a directory entry with an incorrect custom icon flag that was repaired.

• 2 Folders had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.

• Incorrect values in the Volume Information were repaired.

Disk Information:

Files: 14,001,475
Folders: 2,554,643
Free Space: 14.65 GB
Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Block Size: 4,096
Disk Sectors: 3,906,357,344 Media: Hitachi HUA722020ALA330

Time: 11/19/16, 10:42 AM
DiskWarrior Version: 5.0

Today, CM again reported volume information errors but I decided to try Disk Utility. DU found nothing to repair. I did not run DW.

Is CM giving spurious information? Any thoughts?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365