Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Experience has taught me a lot about choosing dictation command keyword phrases...
]do NOT choose the "Listen Without Requiring Keyword Phrase" option

I pondered that awhile ago and then it hit me why they have such interesting names for those services. "Siri".... "Cortana"... those names are not an accident or something that "just sounds good". They were carefully selected (engineered?) to be good "start voice recognition" keywords.

"okay google".... not sure that's such a good idea, but if they can make it work? *shrug* At least you're not likely to say that specific pair (or anything that sounds much like it) at any other time.

Also fun to note...
siri - 2 syllables
cortana - 3 syllables
ok google - 4 syllables

I see a pattern. More syllables should make for a more distinct/reliable keyword.

(what uses "siri"? "serious"... "serial"... I can't think of any other common word or combination of words that use that pair of syllables together. "cortana" - ok you got me that one should be unique and still has a pleasant sound to it / rolls off the tongue. "ok google" - well that's a combination of common words, but in an order that shouldn't happen other than when you intend to invoke VR)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department