No, not only through religion. I'm just saying that lots of good things are done in the name of religion. Sadly, it's also true that many use religion in a destructive way. I don't suppose pointing to those Crusades that happened yesterday, er, centuries ago gets us any closer to your utopia, does it? And pooling resources (tithing) somehow makes the good deeds less noble than if an individual is acting alone? I don't get your point.

I still don't follow your logic. (get rid of God = increased responsibility) How would you apply it in other situations? Let's see, if there was no SEC, then Wall Street would operate on principles of altruism. Yeah, now I get it. wink

There is one example I can think of that almost fits into your concept. Some places have eliminated traffic controls in congested areas. There are no rules separating pedestrians from vehicles, or giving one car the right of way over another. The result has been that people drive slower and are generally more careful. However, this behavior can be explained adequately as self-preservation!