Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There is nothing in this thread indicating what you have already done, and I am not inclined to go looking for a previous thread, but I would start with the simplest things like disabling browser extensions, and deleting the browser cache and history. If that doesn't solve the problem, consider reinstalling OS X/MacOS on the theory there may be a damaged executable somewhere.

Thanks for kicking in.

No, there's no previous thread, and to be perfectly honest I posted looking for an easy answer.

Since I've experienced more than 100 crashes in less than a week and not been aware of a single one of them until after it was long past I've got absolutely no inclination to go through the aggravation of running either in Safe Mode or with my extensions disabled for as long as it will take to establish something, but I have cleared Safari's cache and history numerous times with no joy. I did a clean install a week or two before this issue arose, and because of its innocuousness don't feel like going through the experience again. (Is there an alternative to Archive & Install of which I'm unaware?)

The only thing I remember having done in the time period involved is I updated Flash, but I certainly haven't run it as often as I've experienced crashes, and running it experimentally doesn't result in any.

My one affirmative action has been to work with Console open on my desktop to see if I could get a handle on what was triggering the crashes, but I haven't been alert enough to catch any of them until it was too late.

My next step is going to be setting up a folder action to alert me to the creation of new files in /Users/artie/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports in real time, and that, perhaps, will get me closer to a solution.

Sometimes troubleshooting is more trouble than the trouble, itself! frown

More later.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire