I have installed audacity 2.1.2 and it launches okay. When I tried to drag the Audacity folder into the application folder, it wouldn't allow it so I dragged it to the desktop and then into apps. Also the audacity menu bar doe not appear on a mac because it already has a menu so I read. Where you say 'Eject the DMG at bottom left of Finder' I'm not sure what or where that is. However, this the situation right now, I can start the usb device and THEN open audacity and under Audacity...prefs...recording, where I ticked the Software Playthrough box. I then played a record (no sound) and clicked record. After about 3 minutes, I stopped the turntable and went to audacity in menu and then import and raw data and gave it a name plus aiff which appeared on my desktop as an itune.
I double clicked it and it played in itunes with sound with a bit rate of 1411kbps
So the problem is the absence of sound whilst playing a record. Then I will try and figure out Audacity again. jaybass

OS 13.6.6 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD