Originally Posted By: tacit
-43 means "file not found." If you try to delete a file and see this, it means the system can't locate the file you're trying to delete, which often means serious directory corruption.

I'd start by using Disk Utility to verify and repair that drive. Report back with what it says.

I booted to a backup volume and ran DiskWarrior 5.0. My main volume’s Optimization Index was “10”, so I was not hopeful that continuing with the repair would be beneficial. But I did it anyway.

The result was that “60 Files had a directory entry with an incorrect text encoding value that was repaired.” All 60 files looked like this (but with differences in the file numbers):

File: "ヒラギノ明朝 ProN W3.ttc_ATS_692_266870060
"
Repaired Text Encoding
Location: "Zeus/private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/T/TemporaryItems/"

After allowing the repair, the -43 error issue was resolved.

FWIW 1: I have used DW for many years, but always it was as a preventative measure. AFAIK, this is the first time it resolved a problem after the fact.
FWIW 2: Disk Utility was of no value.

Once again, kind sir, many thanks. Always, your time and expertise are greatly appreciated!

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire