I'm posting this partially for advice and partially in response to Pendragon's comments in this thread (post #41838).

Over the past few days, I updated both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper. My cloning app of choice has been CCC ever since SD clones (in Yosemite) were unbootable and Dave Nanian of SD was unable to resolve the issue. CCC has performed flawlessly since then.

However, after updating CCC and using it to update my two clones, both were unbootable. The clones would partially load and then the computer would shut down (the same happened in my problem with SD in the previous paragraph). I then used the update of SD to erase both clones and re-clone from scratch. Both clones booted normally. This time, of course, I am using El Capitan (which I never tried with SD).

I haven't contacted Mike Bombich at CCC yet, but I will do so and post his response. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365