I have implemented the use of a single, WiFi smart electrical plug which can be turned On / Off through an iPhone app, downloaded from the iOS App Store.

The smart plug was purchased through Amazon Prime and is a ToFuture WiFi Smart Plug Socket Outlet ($19.99). [I would have felt more at ease using a  Home Kit compatible product; but this ToFuture product was so cheap, I thought I'd use it as a beta test.]

The hardware is a China manufacture, but the product box didn't provide any typical, manufacturer logos other than the iOS app's logo on the User Manual. ToFuture was the seller and has good profile on Amazon. The corresponding iOS app ships under the name of "UCsmart Home" - developer being Ping Kwong Yip - but, no reference to anything corresponding to the hardware other than the iOS app's name (v1.1.0) & app icon.

I setup the smart plug on 9/14/16; and as of this writing (about 24 hours later), it's working very well.

So, what's my concern?

My home network, which is governed by my 4th Gen Airport Extreme, is a WPA/WPA2 hidden network. My Network normally requires the Network name and password, which both are very unique, be entered into the wireless device before the wireless device can see & get onto the Network. And since I'm using WPA/WPA2, I additionally have to enter the wireless device's MAC address into the AE Utility.

The product set-up, all done within the iOS app, was 2 steps...

First, the iOS app requested a "registration" that was completed by either entering the iPhone's number, or an email address, along with a created password. [I used my Mac Dot Com email as well as a unique password - not used anywhere else on my Network.] ...When this step was completed (it was not evident where that information went - I assume it was stored as data within the iOS app), but the app began auto searching for my WiFi Network.

Secondly and to my chagrin shocked , my 2.4GHz WiFi Network was discovered without any Network name having to be entered. ...Well, as the iOS app had discovered my Network correctly, I was presented with a password entry and upon entering / submitting, the smart plug outlet connected to my WiFi Network (the outlet's On / Off button lit up). laugh ...Once this step was completed, the iOS app successively presented a screen that simply was visual On / Off button, which when pressed turns the plugged-in lamp On or Off. smile

As I subsequently began thinking about this quick and easy setup, meaning seeing my Network, I began wondering how did the unit discover my Network without any prior device details being entered into AE Utility. confused ...Moreover not having any prior experience with such a device, I'm now feeling a bit paranoid about whether this device might be compromising (somehow allowing inbound access - an ET call home scenario) my Network. tongue

Any thoughts about whether this smart plug may be sniffing?

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi