Originally Posted By: grelber
As a card-carrying Luddite, I will NOT be getting an iPhone 7 or any other smartphone because:
• I'm cheap
Who isn't? (Well, maybe not joemike.) My cellphone bill is typically under $12 per month.

• I primarily use my land-line telephone to call out and for dialup Internet
I also have a land-line phone (but not for dialup) on which I place most calls. However, sometimes when I'm out I need to make a call…such as I used to be able to make for 2 bits on a payphone. However, there are no more payphones. Also, if I ever needed to call 911….

• I can't get any definitive answers to "What's it gonna cost me?" to operate
You should talk to Talk and Save.

• I can't get any comprehensible and practical explanation of what "data" is and why its cost might potentially bankrupt me
So, don't get a data plan. I have a low cost because I only use the phone to make phone calls and, as they are the few and far between calls I NEED to make while out…...

• And, most important, the clear and present danger to my privacy and security
I am hard pressed to think how the periodic and short calls on my old Mototola Razr present any kind of danger, clear and present or otherwise.

Any explanations and/or counterarguments?
See above. And….Jon had a thread about this a while ago when he finally relented.

Last edited by ryck; 09/08/16 07:06 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C