I read somewhere that the next Mac operating system would NOT be compatible with an iPhone 4S. If that is true, El Capitan is the last OS that will be compatible with my iPhone 4S. Acting on that information, I have gone back to regular Safari and have discarded the Safari Technology Preview that I have been using. I have had virtually no problems with Safari Technology Preview, but, if the rumor is correct, I feel I should go back to an App that has Apple's blessing for my iPhone.

Another item is that I have had "automatic" iCloud Backups at many different times of day. For example, tonight I put the iPhone to bed and the automatic backup occurred at 9:15pm. In my experience, there is no set time for a regular iCloud Backup. A record for me on one end of the spectrum is 5:25pm. On the other end, it is about 2:30am. It appears that plugging in the phone and setting the dark panel that shows the time with a line saying "slide to unlock" starts the process for an iCloud backup regardless of time of day.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5