I think you're absolutely right, Jo, and I am very grateful for your long and thoughtful response. I am also pleased to see other responses.

Take a horse to water rings many bells. You are right.

After an overnight despond on my plan here, I have with your help, decided to change tactics. I've also checked Mister Internet. It's almost certainly the fan in that big Tower Thing under the desk which is CLANKING "Help Me!"

If sleek slim modern computers have fans nowadays, I am unaware of them. These Macs are completely silent!

So I think I will instead of being an eager early Christmas, be a mournful doom-merchant. As in "I've (taken the time to) look this up. Your computer fan is about to fail and you're lucky it's still running at all, by the sound of it. I hope you keep backups! because when it fails, that Windows Tower is TOAST."........there is a computer shop near here, I'd offer to help you source some new kit but you're probably not interested right now........seems a shame when you rely on that kit so much to keep in touch with your family and friends/file tax returns/research holidays/check on your team's results/watch TV (etc.)

(Her TV is shot too: she watches TV on that computer, such as it is.......)