I'm putting this here because it won't be a Mac. I'm hoping for some psychological insights/help in buying someone else a new computer.

Her computer is so old that it clanks near constantly. It doesn't grind or whine, it clanks really loudly. Loud enough to give you a headache after a while and preclude regular conversation in the area. Is the noise the fan? Is it the hard disk? Who cares! This computer should have been replaced YEARS AGO! Please do not suggest getting this piece of junk mended, that will never happen, trust me on that one.

It's a Windows thing with a Tower under the desk. The way I see it, there is no need to have a Tower computer any more; modern computers come with so much disk space and processing power that I reckon we can go straight to a laptop which will have the added advantage of being portable when she goes on holiday.

She's retired but very active. She is the world's worst procrastinator: hence, no new-computer-decision has been made or even approached, despite the CLANKING (I think it's saying "put me out of my misery")

So here's the question. I know not much about Windows kit and would need her co-operation to buy her a new one. (I have the funds, within reason money no object. It won't be that much, say up to £1,000 GB£ or US$ 1,300 or Euros 1180.) Should I:

1. take her to the computer shop when I visit soon, and try to overcome the predictable resistance there and then;

2. explain my plan when I arrive and try to overcome the resistance in advance then go to the shop;

3. Say, this computer is for me, but it lives in your home. Use it as you wish.

4. Say, this is a gift, (boy oh boy do you need it.....) Christmas came early!

5. Just work out what I think will do the job, buy it online and collect it from that shop when we're there!

What would you do? I really don't want to discuss this with my friend in advance; arms would be folded, blank face made, resistance up and running. Stubborn-ness and procrastination do not always lead to an ideal outcome. IMO.

Thanks for any insightful and/or amusing replies.