THIS IS COOL
For a good while now I have used iCloud for my iTunes storage because:
  • They don't take up any storage space on my Mac
  • They don't take up any storage on my iPad or iPhone (Unless I am going to be on the road and relying on cellular data connections in which case I download a selected group of tunes to the iOS device)
  • All of my music is available on all of my devices as long as I have a WiFi connection
But….
Synching tunes playlists was only available through a physical connection between the Mac and the iOS device. 😡 Not undoable, but a royal pain in the nether regions of the anatomy. Along comes MacOS 12, iTunes 12.5, iOS 10, and the iOS 10 version of Music...
  • iOS 10 âž­ Settings âž­ Music there are two new options...
    • Add Playlist Songs
    • iCloud Music Library
With those two options enabled, Music on my iPhone and iPad running iOS 10 are complete and total duplicates with iTunes on my Mac running MacOS 12. All my tunes, all my playlists, all my folders, everything is the same automatically and completely transparently with no physical connections involved — it all goes through iCloud. (I say transparently because I only noticed the significant new change this morning while helping my grandson set up his new iPhone 6S.

Now I am beginning to wonder when will iTunes on MacOS become Music with no store capabilities and iTunes Store becomes a separate App as it is on iOS?

Similarly App Store iOS is already segregated with iPhone only and iPad only sections, why not roll in MacOS only apps and do all app shopping in one place? As I already look at any new app purchases to see if there is are equivalent versions for MacOS and iOS just go to one call does all app shopping.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein