I use Safari Version 9.1.1 (11601.6.17) with ElCapitan 10.11.5. ElCapitan was updated by Apple May 16, 2016. (I installed that update June 8, 2016). I thought that the update was an improvement in the general operation of my Mac Pro. However, Safari would yield smooth operation for about 6 to ten operations after which it stalled and froze. I therefore must close the Safari window and open a new one. Occasionally that is not enough to remedy the freeze and I have to reboot, after which things work just fine until another freeze. This may be related to the fact that my Mac Pro is Early 2008 with two 2.8GHz Quad-CoreIntel Xeon processors and 16GB of 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM memory.

Today, I decided to try Firefox instead of Safari. I flogged my machine for over an hour without any freezing whatsoever. I stopped the session because I wanted to and not because I had to. I have no personal preference between Safari and Firefox, but I have to say that I was very impressed with today's comparison. I would probably lean toward using Safari simply because it is an Apple product. Is there any way to eliminate these annoying freezes or do I just wait for the next upgrade?

Last edited by cyn; 07/16/16 05:45 AM. Reason: Topic moved from the Lounge to the Networking forum.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5