Originally Posted By: kevs
No grief at all with Adgaurd? that's amazing, I'll give it a try. Any recommendations on preferences/ settings? and why does it not cause the grief others do? And does it help? Create a less slow internet experience for you?

The version of AdGuard I use does not run in a browser. It filters all incoming internet traffic before it gets to any browser so it covers all the browsers on the computer. I have been running it for three or four weeks now and I have had zero problems. The only customizing I have done is turn all the filters ON.

My original problem that prompted me to change it turned ut cam from OpenDNS. It was triggered by an invalid security certificate so I was happy that it was blocked. A third party security service server used by my bank that had allowed the certificate to expire and had failed to renew. Neither the bank or the security service was aware of the expired certificate until it was caught by OpenDNS. That is why I have a paid OpenDNS account.
MacNN going under, oh.. .love those folks there!

Yeah, me too 😢
PS there is also an download ad guard for Mac that goes to your desktop,, any opinion on that?

Yes that is the one I am using and so far quite happy with.
I just watched FAce the Nation CBS and they asked to disable ad blocker, so I removed adguard, can't take that anymore.. too much work..

Spend 37 minutes listening to the the blog grelber cited in Dinero's thread in The Lounge. Then make up your mind.

If you want to discuss advertising and/or financing the web further, please post in Dinero's thread so this thread can be confined to technical questions about the various blockers and blocking technology and not get bogged down in more philosophical matters.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein