Originally Posted By: alternaut
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Life and love are supposed to remain mysterious wonders.
Believe anything you want.

I sure hope that won't be literally true in my universe,

...meaning what? It currently is true? (guess i missed something).

which is not to say there isn't any room for romantic obfuscation of reality. wink

Again, "reality" (and i suppose you mean *physical* reality?) is phenomena perceived by our 5 senses. Explain (if you will) dreams. [i.e., the dimensions therein are *not* limited by the physical world we live in day-to-day. For example, even the atoms and molecules everyone is all excited about here are somewhat illusory. Theoretically, there is more space in these solids (such as our Macs) than we are capable of seeing with our eyes. I don't know about the rest of you... but i fly and time-travel in my dreams all the time. Not that i have full control or anything. (still trying to get through Victor Sanchez's book on Castaneda).] Anyway, Einstein blew away many conceptions of (Newtonian) reality when he proved that {the passage of} time is *not* a constant. The maximum speed of light.... that's the constant.

Likewise, and despite all arguments to the contrary, beliefs are inherently irrational coping and comforting mechanisms (there's your 'benefit') generated by a brain lacking in understanding or means to deal with issues in a more active and fundamental way, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for that either.

Yes, there is some 'comfort mechanism' involved perhaps. But... "a brain lacking in understanding or means to deal with issues" is a trait all humans share, so that cancels out. [unless you have all the answers to life... or even the right questions? -- if so, Dr. Venter could probably use your help. wink  ]

That is, as long as you remember what and where you are, and won't let beliefs dictate your options to the exclusion of everything else. But that's my 2¢... tongue

None of which truly answers such questions as: 'where did we come from?' and 'where are we going?'. Are you saying that you believe before we were born we came from nowhere... and when we die we will go nowhere. [?] If so... that's none too comforting.

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
Nicely put! Scientists call it the working hypothesis and it is always tied to a certain area or problem (maybe except physics). Common folks tend to explain it by God's will. This makes us comfortable with the world, like a wall to keep our sanity behind it.

Common folks are more interested in watching Survivor or Sopranos (besides getting food and sex of course), than thinking about such deep subjects.

Which reminds me of some burning questions:
Is there TV in heaven?
Cable or dish?
How many channels?
grin