Don't know about other states, but here in Washington, when one gets a ticket, they have 3 choices on how to proceed:

1. Pay the fine outright (and thus plead guilty).

2. Attend a mitigation hearing to try and get the fine reduced (typically works, and usually the reduction is anywhere from 30 to 50%).

3. Contest the ticket. In this case, one goes to court and appears before a judge. One thus makes an argument as to why they think the violation is either invalid or unjust. This will lead to either a dismissal of the violation (and thus no fine), a reduction in the fine, or things remain as they are.

In some cases (and depending on the jurisdiction), one can contest the ticket by filling out some paperwork and mailing it to the court. There is no actual hearing involved. We did exactly that 2 years ago, when my wife received an invalid ticket for not yielding the right away in a round about (hate those things, as do quite a few other drivers I know). Based on quite a few easily proven circumstances, we filled out the paperwork, mailed it in, and the violation was dismissed.

Apparently, he "chose" the third option (maybe there is no "mitigation" choice in that Texas town/jurisdiction). Without knowing his driving record, nor how he tried to "argue" his case (and maybe other circumstances), it's difficult to understand why it was so much for just going 9 mph over the limit. But, assuming his driving record was OK, and that he tried to state his case as calmly and clearly as possible, I don't blame him at all for being pissed off.

Note though that they did accept the payment, counted it, and even left him a courteous voice message about a refund due.

Also, note the last part of this: "I was convicted by a jury for driving 39 in a 30 and was subject to $212 at the barrel of a gun". Would like to know about "the barrel of a gun". In almost all cases, and especially if one acts respectful to the officer, I have never heard of the need for a gun regarding a traffic violation.

By the way, here in Washington, when one contests a ticket, there is no jury involved at the hearing. There is the defendant, the judge, a couple of court clerks, and the officer who wrote the ticket. So if there was an actual jury involved, that definitely screams of a terrible waste of money in that Texas town/jurisdiction.

Last edited by honestone; 05/30/16 05:02 PM.