Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: honestone
Fortunately, both my wife and I do not take many medications, and almost all the ones we take are generic equivalents, and thus we never come close to that amount (for each of us). My wife does take a brand name drug for her diabetes, but again, we are fortunate that our doctor gives us so many samples of it that we do not need to spend anything at all on that one.

Originally Posted By: ryck
If you need a drug that now has a generic equivalent, you should consider this company. They pay your pharmacist a subsidy that brings the cost of the real drug down to the cost of the generic, or even lower.

Or, in the case of the U.S., it may be at this address.

For folks that have Medicare Parts A & B (like my wife and I), there are a number of Medicare supplement plans that we can choose from during Open Enrollment, which occurs from October through December. THe 3 types of plans we can choose from are:

Plan C - better coverage for Medical "procedures".

Plan D - Prescription Drug Coverage

Plan C & D - Combines the benefits of Plans C and D above.

My wife and I have always had Plan C & D (called a Medicare Advantage Plan).

Of course, each plan that we can choose from has different "features", and one should choose a plan that fits their needs. For my wife and I, given that we are in very good health, and have no major issues, we always choose an "HMO TYpe"plan, with no monthly premium. And, as I mentioned above, we can change our plan during the Open Enrollment period for the following year. We have done that each time, and it has worked out well.

For prescriptions, in just about all cases (except when a preferred pharmacy can be used, or one uses mail order), the copays for drugs are the same.