Originally Posted By: kevs
Yes, called install el capitan.

Did not understand probably 95% of your last post which is odd, as usually you are so clear.

The file is in the apps folder, and that gets cloned to the clone, hence what else to discuss? It'll be there on the clone.

I'm going to put it on a flash drive, as my laptop for some reason will not download it to the apps folder from the app store. In fact, I'm not even sure how I got it on the apps folder on the dektop. I've tried several times to download from app store to the app folder and nothing happens - laptop.

My question was:

After your MAC HD has fried, and you did your erase from clone, you then just ? Not clear how the erased Mac HD will get the install El Capitan onto it, as it has no structure.

BTW this just may be too convoluted a topic to convey via a forum.

I have stated numerous times that if you start the "Install OS X El Capitan" file/process via that file's location in the Applications folder, it will go away/be deleted after that completes. Hence, you will not have that file any longer in that original location. It is still wise and prudent to make a copy of that file in another folder/location on your internal drive. As I have mentioned before, on my internal SSD for both of my machines, I have the file "Install OS X El Capitan" within both the Applications folder, and in another folder (separate from the Applications folder) called "Upgrades". And when I run SD, all of that gets EXACTLY copied to my external device (actually two devices, as I make 2 copies).

Now, as for:

"After your MAC HD has fried, and you did your erase from clone, you then just ? Not clear how the erased Mac HD will get the install El Capitan onto it, as it has no structure."

, if my HD (actually SSD in my case) gets "fried" beyond repair, the FIRST thing I will need to do is buy a new one and install it inside the machine (easy on my Mac MIni, and very, very difficult on my MacBook Air).

Next, once my internal SSD is "ok" (whether it was OK from the start (like both of mine are now), or via the installation of a new one), when one launches the file "Install OS X El Capitan", one of the choices is to run Disk Utility from there. That process will erase, format, and if necessary, partition, the internal HDD/SSD (SSD in my case). Once that is completed, I can then install a virgin, fresh version of OS 10.11.4. From there, I would boot my Mac from that fresh installation of OS 10.11.4 on my SSD, and then use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy all needed "stuff" from my SD backup/clone (on my external device).

I can also run Disk Utility from the SD backup/clone, then launch the file "Install OS X El Capitan", and proceed as above. Of course, doing a fresh installation of OS 10.11.4 also gets the Recovery HD partition created.

Given that my SSD is fine now, I can either follow that process above, or after re-starting my Mac from the SD clone, I would do a "Restore all files" via the SD clone. What happens is 1) everything on my internal SSD is removed (but it is STILL formatted), and 2) everything (OS, Settings, Applications, etc., etc.) gets restored onto my internal SSD exactly like it was when I originally did the SD backup. Once completed, I just re-start my Mac from that just completed restore.

Regarding the method of first launching the "Install OS X El Capitan" for that I can first use Disk Utility, if I launch it from the Applications folder on the clone, it will be gone after the process completes, but I still have a copy of it somewhere else on the backup/clone. If I launch and run it from that alternate location, it WILL NOT get deleted after the installation completes.

Again, it's up to you whether you want it in one location on both your internal drive and on each backup/clone, or in multiple locations.

Last edited by honestone; 05/15/16 08:48 PM.