Originally Posted By: kevs
H, I will now have the "install El Capitan app in the application folders of all clones.

I'm pretty rusty on erasing a Mac HD, what happens at that point, you drag that file over from the clone, right from the finder from the clone to the newly erased Mac HD, and double click it and it will install the OS? The blank/ empty hardrive does not need any coding on it to deal with the new install?

First of all, just confirm that the file name is "Install OS X El Capitan".

Secondly, as I mentioned above, you need to copy that file to another folder on both your internal drive, and on each clone. On the same hard drive/SDD, here is how to do that (after, of course, deciding exactly where you want the flle copied to:

"There are two ways to copy/paste, first is by selecting the file and using Command+C to copy, then Command+V to paste where you want the copy to be. The second is quicker and less-known—by using the mouse and the Option key. Normally, the default system behavior would just move a file that's dragged by the mouse (basically, cutting and pasting it), but holding down the Option key will cause it to make a copy of the file, just as though you had used the copy/paste functions in any normal app"

If you just drag the file to the new location on the same HDD/SDD, the file will disappear from the original location.

To copy a file between two different HDDs/SDDs, in that case you can just drag the file from the original location on the original HDD/SDD to the new location on the new HDD/SDD, and it will not disappear/be removed.

Going forward, when you use SD (or CCC for that matter) to perform the backup, either product will first erase the destination you choose whether the copy/clone will be made to, and then perform the backup. If instead you first use Disk Utility, it will also Erase everything on that destination, but will also re-format it. You can then use SD or CCC to perform the backup.

Obviously, everything in the destination location is gone, but being you have everything you want on the source location, the SD/CCC backup will copy everything for you exactly as is.

Last edited by honestone; 05/15/16 03:13 PM.