Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Artie, I'm just trying to get my head around for the future.

Migration assistant has done very well for you? Just as good as Cloning back a bootable drive?

And does it happen that DU and even Discwarrior Techtool, cannot fix a drive, but erasing it solves whatever issues was there? Sometimes you don't have to replace the drive?

I prefer nuke & pave because it gives me a clean OS; it does take more time than restoring from a clone, but I always feel like I've got a "snappier" system after I've done it.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that in my memory of 10+ years of MFIF and FTM, far more issues have been resolved by reinstalling OS X than by replacing drives.

OS X can go bad in myriad ways that have nothing to do with the drive on which it's installed, but there are only a few specific sets of circumstances that indicate a bad drive...probably even less with the advent of SSDs, and, as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure what symptoms indicate a bad SSD.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire