Originally Posted By: kevs
If it makes you feel good H, but none of this is needed anymore.

In the 70 and 80s you had to change your oil every 3k miles? I bought a new 2002 Mercedes SLK, I've never done an oil change. It taken care of on the every 18th month visit. So yeah, things do change as per the year of the car. Same with the computer. Apple is on the case -- you may be doing a lot of busy work for for nothing.

...If it makes you feel good

I tested it, and I'm here to report it's not needed, and Joe said as much, and he knows a lot more about Macs that I do.!

It not only makes me feel good, but I am actually learning useful things.

I do agree with you about oil changes. We have a 2005 Mercedes CLK 320, and a 2013 Toyota Camry V6 XLE, and I do not change the oil myself. For the Mercedes, I do take it to a third party place (very reliable), and they charge less than half than what the dealer charges for that service. There are similar savings on brakes.

But, changing air and cabin air filters, checking air pressure in tires, changing fuses, and charging the battery are not difficult at all. For my Macs, as I said, I am multi-tasking while the disk maintenance is going on, so I am thus not waisting time and effort.

But again, if it makes you happy to just wait for things to happen, fine. I myself will continue to get in front of things.