Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks H, I'm very proactive, but someone suggested 7 years ago on this or another Mac forum, to let it go, not worry, (kind of like AV), and I've had no issues and have saved probably 200 hours of doing all that. My 2009 27" never broke once in any way. For cars, they have also come a long way from the 70's. I just take in my 2002 to the dealer every 18 months and they check all those things, no need for me to do anything you just listed.

I have been reading the same thing on numerous Mac sites for quite some time, but I prefer to stay ahead of issues, instead of reacting to them (as long as I can do that, and for Macs and cars, I can). One never knows when an emergency can occur, but one can take necessary precautions.

As for automobiles, makes no difference what decade the vehicle was made in. It is always good to perform as much preventative maintenance as possible. Besides saving money (and for most things with cars, that is significant), one learns some things about their automobiles.

Simple example: cabin air filters can go "bad" after 12 months. For both cars that we own, they are a snap to replace. Also, I do not need to make an appointment with the dealer, drive down there and wait around until they are done, and then drive home. I just go to the auto parts store not far from where I live, purchase one for at least 70% less than the dealer would charge, drive back home, take out the old one, and install the new one. Total time: less than 1 1/2 hours. To me, besides the cost savings, and learning something about my car, that is a WAY more efficient use of my time.

In any event, to each his/her own. I just prefer to be more actively involved with my cars and computers (I also follow the same philosophy with other tasks/things).