Originally Posted By: kevs
Again curious : Any idea why hardware growl is always reporting recovery drive mounted/ unmounted, is that ok?

There are a myriad of possibilities and without spending an inordinate amount of time searching your log files I can only speculate that is something running in background on your computer (apparently you have no small number of things running in background including Sophos). My best guess is one of those utilities is checking the Recovery Drive and in order to do that it would have to mount the volume (Recovery Drive is a volume on your boot drive and not a separate drive) then as a well behaved app dismounts the Recovery Drive when it finishes.

If you have several hours/days to spend you can probably isolate the culprit by removing everything from
  • /Library/LaunchAgents,
  • ~/Library/LaunchAgents,
  • /library/LaunchDaemons,
  • ~/Library/LaunchDaemons,
  • and System Preferences ➯ Users ➯ your account ➯ Login Items
being careful not to disable Hardware Growler of course — and then running the system to see if the mounts/dismounts recur. If they do then Hardware Grwoler may be the culprit otherwise — one at a time add back each of the Startup Items, LaunchDaemons, and LaunchAgents — rebooting and running for a day or two until you are confident the mounts/dismounts are not going to occur or the mounts and dismounts do recur. When the latter happens the culprit would be the last item reactivated.

FWIW I used to perform a regular ritual of maintenance routines including volume structure checks, surface scans, permission repair, file defragmentation, volume defragmentation, log rotation, etc., etc., etc. but over the years I have slowly abandoned all of that and my systems are more stable and run better and faster than ever. (The Keychain problem I mentioned earlier was, my own fault and related to a series of changes I was making attendant to converting/upgrading the 1.1 TB Fusion Drive in my Mac mini into separate 1TB SSD and HDs and not a maintenance or system glitch.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein