Originally Posted By: kevs
Artie, I just went to the [DiskWarrior] site, so the core app is a download, and the flash drive must come in the mail. $120 man that 's a lot of any software these days. And how would you know if could help? Before this post (forgetting all about it), I would just assume the hardrive is fried...

Has Macs disc utility come close to doing what DW does? Is there a more economical product?

I believe Disk Utility is more robust today than it was years ago, but I've got no reason to believe that it's anywhere near the equivalent of DW yet.

As honestone pointed out, TechTool Pro can be had for significantly less than DW costs, but as long as I've been around FTM (and MFIF earlier) DW has been pretty much everyone's number one choice...supported by many "DW fixed what TTP could NOT fix" posts. (All the apps I've run across that perform tasks similar to those of DW and TTP cost in the $100 range, but that's by no means a given.)

Originally Posted By: kevs
Finally, back to my question about SD, and I see Ryck uses it too:

Any guess as to why SD did not solve the recovery drive thing? The developer is super smart, you would have to be to develop that. Easier to lower rate to $28, than to include recovery? any guess on that? And it's still not there? With CCC it just goes over with the Mac HD copy?

That's really a question for Dave Nanian, kevs, but I'll take a guess that it simply comes down to methodology.

CCC uses "rsync" (V1 has posted about rsync many times, and I gather that he's quite fond of it.), which obviously can be tailored to clone the recovery partition while SD apparently uses code/methodology/technique(?) that just plain cannot do the same.

But yeah, you clone your boot drive with CCC, and if it's got a recovery partition it's part of the clone. (Is booting into a cloned recovery partition the same command-R boot as booting into an OS X installed one?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire