Originally Posted By: kevs
I never had a Trojan as they implied in the email? Again, I keep thinking they are saying a Trojan was on my local computer and that created the window to hack the password... (I've never had a thorough discussion about it with them, they don't seem to want to waste time on past issues)

Correct. You never had a Trojan on your local computer.

I assume Tacit you don't bother with AV either...

Right. I do use antivirus on my Windows machines, but not on my Macs.

So the only reason to have an AV is if I"m so lame as to accidentally double click an email attachment or someone comes into my house and installs something sinister...? But in short, no one it seems who is very Mac savvy recommends bothering with AV. My web hoster would probably would still insist Sophos would have prevented it...even if I explained all this, my guess.

Yep, exactly. Having AV on your computer would not have prevented that hack, from the sound of it.

WordPress is popular because it's easy to use, but it's also the Windows 98 of Web security. There are a lot of ways to hack it, and the bad guys don't even target specific sites--they use totally automated tools that just scan thousands of sites an hour looking for weak WordPress installs and automatically hacking them. If you fail to install WordPress security updates or you use weak passwords, you will be hacked. It's only a matter of time.

BTW for wordpress, I don't remember doing security updates. I have some type of AV there I think-- some spam plugin, and I update that, and I update Wordpress, or I think it updates itself now..[/spam]

The Akismet anti-spam plugin will protect you from spam comments, also the bane of WordPress sites, but will not in any way deter hackers. For that, I recommend a three-pronged approach: use strong passwords, check for and install updates regularly, and use the free WordFence security plugin, which will make your site far more difficult to hack.

[quote=kevs]CCC- SD, So if I stay with SD, and my MacHD goes haywire, and I clone back with my SD clone, the recovery partition is not there? Why not-- SD seems to be pretty robust, how could they miss what the competitor could do? Will they fix that later? And isn't that a Mac thing embedded into the OS? And couldn't one add it on later anyway or you would never ever have that again?

I use Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine, myself. (I have three backup drives: two rotating backups that I make with Carbon Copy Cloner, and one large Time Machine backup. I also have a Mac server running in a remote location that I backup to using a program called CrashPlan, in case a fire burns down the house. I am paranoid about backups because I make my living with my laptop, and if I lose the data on it I'm in big trouble.)

SD doesn't seem to be as on top of operating system changes as CCC. I don't know how it handles drive recovery partitions, but I do know that since about OS X 10.7 or so, SD has steadily been getting less reliable.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html