As to the blog password antivirus issue, Tacit said it all.

As to the CCC vs SD question I depend on Time Machine as my primary backup and it has proven very reliable and very flexible but Time Machine Versus clones is another thread. However I do make occasional clones of my boot drive and just so I have a nice warm fuzzy feeling in case of a near total disaster, my recovery drive as well. I had switched to SD in the past primarily because it had a "cleaner" UI and not for any performance reasons. The reasons I have gone back to CCC are — in no particular order...
  • Yosemite broke SD's ability to automatically download and install updates. Certainly not a deal breaker, but an annoyance.
  • As Artie said, CCC can copy the Recovery Partition and SD could not. That may have changed recently, but CCC has worked well enought there has been no reason to see if it has. (Copying the Recovery Partition is a deal maker for me).
  • At the time I had a problem with a failed SD clone and CCC successfully cloned the same drive
  • As both Artie and Jon indicated CCC works well and it always has.
  • The current CCC user interface is in my opinion "cleaner" than it used to be which removes my original objection to it.

By-the-way TechTool Pro 8's Pro-To-Go mode can create a bootable Recovery drive on an internal or external HD/SSD/Thumb drive but it adds one additional feature to its Recovery drive, a working copy of TechTool Pro 8 including Pro-To-Go.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/08/16 12:04 AM. Reason: By-the-way

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein