Quote:
So the only reason to have an AV is if I"m so lame as to accidentally double click an email attachment or someone comes into my house and installs something sinister...?

At least one more reason: if there's malware in an email sent to you and you forward that email to a Windows user you could infect the other person's computer.

Quote:
CCC- SD, So if I stay with SD, and my MacHD goes haywire, and I clone back with my SD clone, the recovery partition is not there? Why not-- SD seems to be pretty robust, how could they miss what the competitor could do? Will they fix that later? And isn't that a Mac thing embedded into the OS? And couldn't one add it on later anyway or you would never ever have that again?

I've got no idea what coding factors allow CCC to clone the recovery partition but prevent SD from doing so, but it's been a bunch of years since the partition was introduced, and if SD can't clone it yet it doesn't look good for the future. (Note that pre-recovery partition SD was $40 shareware and CCC was donationware, and post-recovery partition SD has lowered their price to $28 while CCC has gone to $40 shareware, which I suspect is a clue.)

The recovery partition is part of an OS X install, and the only way you can get it back in a pinch is by reinstalling which is presumably less preferable than restoring from a clone.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire