Originally Posted By: honestone
Originally Posted By: ryck

At this point, all moot, as Kaisich reportedly will be making an announcement today that he is dropping out.

So, that negates your earlier contention about California. Not to say I told you so, but .....

Contention? I suggested that California wasn't necessarily a shoo-in for Trump, given the unknown factor of where the Cruz votes would go. And, I still stand by that speculation.

The fact that there will now not be a competition doesn't provide a single iota of support for your contention that Trump would easily win California, so you can hang onto your "Not to say I told you so" for another time.

Originally Posted By: ryck
I'm guessing Trump will require far more than any candidate has ever needed. He needs a massive (and expensive) PR campaign to reverse the opinions of those large voter blocs he has alienated so far. (e.g. None-white voters 81% for Hillary, 14% for the Donald). Other groups, like women, are not likely to be much different.

So far, Trump has spent his own money on the campaign.

You have missed the point entirely.

I fully understand that Trump has paid his way to date. However, the amount he will need for an election campaign (and the PR side of things) far exceeds anything he has spent so far. He may be reluctant to reach that far into his own pocket and, absent any additional funding, that will place him in a tough spot.

quote=ryck]But not an impossibility. News reports this morning say that some Republicans are stating they will vote for Hillary before they vote for Trump. And, if the usual big-money Republican donors are not going to pony up for a campaign (effectively "lying down") he's got a money problem.

Again, no matter how it's spun, the Republican party would then be giving up.

Yes, and I think it's entirely possible in a party that is already split by factors like the Tea Party. Add to that the fact that Trump has only averaged 40% of the Republican vote in the primaries, so a majority of the party already opposes him.

Last edited by ryck; 05/05/16 01:24 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C