Originally Posted By: ryck

This suggests to me that, philosophically, Apple has come full circle and become Microsoft.

I recall, very clearly, in 1984 the biggest appeal of the Macintosh was its underlying philosophy - a computer that allowed the user to do what user wanted….no more having to do what the software demanded. As I said, full circle.

Different generation (than 1984), different expectations. Not necessarily better, just different. Now there is a greater expectation that technology will just DO; the user is more immersed in the experience and does not want to think about anything more than which app will allow her/him to DO.

It is interesting that, so it seems to me, "DO" does not always mean "have any kind of meaningful human interaction with another person."

As a Mac user since 1984 I see myself dealing less with the actual hardware and software now than way back then. I don't feel limited today, I think things have just improved immensely to relieve the user of this "burden". Job security for tech support people! grin

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.