Originally Posted By: tacit
Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
I seriously doubt that creating "life" from scratch [i.e., in my sterilized building, with nothing but elements and energy] is possible.

On what do you base that belief? Do you believe that life is magical--that there is something in a living organism beyond the molecules that make it up?

Organism? Animal or vegetable?
Can it think... sense fear, or joy?
Any grey matter in the anatomy?
Define all the parameters here.

Anyway, perhaps the boarding school i attended in the early 70's was too close to that hippie commune. It was called 'Spirit In The Flesh' (the commune, not the school. smile ). Um, yeah... i suppose you could call it a belief. Not that i'm willing to fight to the death over it... and, not that i have any proofs worked out or anything.

So okay... maybe an apple has life (without a "soul") -- and maybe your doctor Mengele Spock can (eventually) synthesize apples... allowing future astronauts to travel light years into the cosmos, and not go hungry. That's fine. (beam me up already, Scotty)

But i still have doubts (unless they borrow a little bacteria... or caviar... or something with an inner "life" force) that scientists will be able to develop any 'creatures'. I.e., using only jars of elements and energy transference, etc.