Originally Posted By: artie505 & joemikeb
artie505: I doubt that, because Apple's well-known penchant for extreme secrecy would tend to preclude the store's having foreknowledge of the Air's demise.

joemikeb: Assuming the decision originated at the local store. It could have been handed down from or recommended by Cupertino. confused

I think it's most unlikely that Cupertino would have directed the store to switch from MBAirs to not just the "clunkiest" Macs made, but the only ones that still have Kensington Lock ports if theft wasn't the issue; Apple's interests are best served by having only their "sexiest" models visible.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I have seen photographs reported to be MacBook/MacBook Air prototypes where the hinge is a flexure in the case to save the space required for a hinge pin. shocked

shocked , indeed, not to mention tongue !

Originally Posted By: artie505 & joemikeb
artie505: It seems like the more compact Macs get the more we either give up in the process or the more cumbersome compensating for it gets.

joemikeb: As long as the market continues to demand slimmer, lighter, more powerful laptops....

We should have our own talk show! grin

I think that demand is a self-fulfilling prophecy...that those Macs are selling because they're all Apple is offering!

I measure slimmer and lighter by the size and weight of the total package required to perpetuate the functionality I need; if I've got to carry around a bagful of adapters, drives, and docks or have them littering my desk to achieve it, then the Mac I'm using does NOT fill my slimmer and lighter bill, and I'll bet the farm that I'm not alone in thinking that way.

And I'll also bet that Apple's impetus towards slimmer and lighter is driven in part by corporate greed and the considerable amount of money to be made by eliminating 3rd party RAM and hard drives as options ($200 to upgrade from 8 to 16GB of RAM, and $300 to upgrade from a 256 GB SSD to a 512GB SSD, indeed!), not to mention the money to be made from selling the multiplicity of adapters and other appurtenances necessary to restoring lost functionality.

And further to that is their having usurped our control over our own destinies by requiring that we buy those expensive upgrades "on spec" rather than as the need arises.

Nope! At the end of the day I'll bet that a sizable percentage of Mac users would be more than happy to deal with slightly larger and heavier machines in return for some regained functionality and control over their own destinies.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire