First, I realized why you wound up with two different versions of SP: after you authenticated you were asked whether you wanted to overwrite your pre-existing version or install, and you instinctively chose "install", so rather than overwriting, i.e. updating, your pre-existing version you installed the update as a freestanding "app" alongside it, thus the partial-app icon. Sorry for not having guided you through that critical step.

I don't understand why your Safari reverted, though, unless you ran the entire Combo, in which case I don't understand why SP wasn't updated from v 5.2 in that step. confused

Quote:
I do have all 30 icons in Desktop pictures. HD>library. Can they be used at all?

I did some searching and came up with some possibilities:

1. This article refers to "iPhoto '11", but there may be a similar option in the version you're running, in which case you can import the 30 items in /Library/Desktop Pictures into iPhoto and take advantage of it.

2. This article from 2010 is old enough that the two viable options it offers may work:
  • How to Change Mac Desktop Background Picture to an Image File
  • Setting OS X Desktop Wallpaper from Pictures on the Web with Safari
And if you'd like to give rerunning the Combo another shot post back and I'll link you to what you need again.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire