Originally Posted By: tacit
Religious people have been accusing others of "playing god" for thousands of years. As near as I can tell, the definition of "playing god" means "trying to understand parts of the physical world that I personally do not understand but think should be blocked off from human comprehension and marked with a sign reading 'god is here'."

Yeah but i haven't been around for a thousand years... so i didn't use that phrase in those cases. [and i don't subscribe to the definition you gave either.] We're strictly talking about 'creating' life in this sub-thread/tangent.

There is nothing particularly magical about life;

What happened to all that "awe" then? wink

we're closing in on the ability to create a living organism entirely from scratch,

You have more faith than you realize. grin

and if you don't accept that Dr. Ventnor has done that yet, the question will become academic soon.

I seriously doubt that creating "life" from scratch [i.e., in my sterilized building, with nothing but elements and energy] is possible. They will always need to tinker with something that's already alive (or parts of something that was). No more magical than breeding a dog with a pig. Hey look... it's a new life form!!! Eureka, etc.

The scientist in me wants to see the proof.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 09/17/09 08:31 PM.